November 2021 / Reports and Studies
Services to Support Behind the Meter Providing Customer Energy Management
The Services to Support Behind the Meter Providing Customer Energy Management Report is one of the applications' descriptions elaborated by the Task Force on Segmentation of Applications. This work builds on the Summary of Energy Storage Applications published in June 2020.
This overview provides a summary of the customer energy management applications referring to the energy storage installed behind-the-meter to support end users and manage their energy supply and/or costs considering many residential, commercial and industrial consumers and customers are exposed to variable electricity tariffs.
Services to Support Behind the Meter Providing Customer Energy Management are composed of eight key systems:
- End-User Peak Shaving: use of energy storage to level out peaks in electricity use by residential or industrial and commercial power consumers, with the aim of minimising the cost of a customer’s invoice that varies according to their highest power demand.
- Time-of-Use Energy Cost Management: use of energy storage by customers subject to variable or ‘time-of-use’ electricity pricing to reduce the overall costs for electric service.
- Particular Requirements in Power Quality: use of energy storage to provide a high level of power quality above and beyond what the system offers.
- Maximising Self-Production & Self-Consumption of Electricity: use of energy storage to maximise self-production and self-consumption of electricity.
- Continuity of Energy Supply: use of energy storage device to substitute the network in case of interruption.
- Limitation of Upstream Disturbances: use of energy storage to limit the disturbances caused by distribution grids on upstream HV grids to contractual values.
- Compensation of Reactive Power: use of energy storage to compensate locally the reactive power.
- EV Integration: use of electric vehicles (EV) or plug-in hybrid EVs (PHEV) to provide Vehicle to Grid (V2G) functions to contribute to the grid balancing.