November 2020 / Policy Papers - Responses to Public Consultations
Conclusions on EASE Reply to the European Commission Public Consultation on the Revision of the Energy Taxation Directive
EASE submitted a response to the European Commission Public Consultation on the Revision of the Energy Taxation Directive welcoming the revision of the Energy Taxation Directive and identifying a list of recommendations relevant for energy storage sector.
November 2020 / Reports and Studies
Services to Support Generation and Services to Support Bulk Storage
The Services to Support Generation and Services to Support Bulk Storage Report is one of the applications' descriptions elaborated by the Task Force on Segmentation of Applications. This work builds on the Summary of Energy Storage Applications published in June 2020.
The services to support generation and bulk storage can ensure a vast and clean energy generation from renewable sources and can be divided into seven categories:
- Energy arbitrage: The ability of a consumer or entity to buy electricity when the price is low and use it when the price is high.
- System electricity supply capacity: The use of energy storage in place of combustion turbine to provide the system with peak generation capacity.
- Support to conventional generation: Optimising operation of conventional generation assets including generator bridging and generator ramping.
- Ancillary services RES support: The use of energy storage to help variable renewable generation contribute to ancillary services by providing some reserve power.
- Capacity firming: The use of energy storage to render variable RES output more constant during a given period of time.
- RES curtailment minimisation: Use of energy storage to absorb variable RES that cannot be injected into the electricity grid due to lack of demand, either delivering it to the electricity grid when needed or converting it into another energy vector (gas, fuel or heat) to be delivered to the relevant grid.
- Seasonal arbitrage: Taking advantage of an electricity price difference in the wholesale electricity market between 2 seasons.